Friday, August 19, 2011

#5 - See the Sunset and Dawn at Uluru (Ayer's Rock)



When I was in Australia eight years ago (wow) I didn’t have enough money to go anywhere but to the East Coast in a van with a bunch of other people. Actually, I didn’t have enough money to buy a sandwich, but it was a good trip. I always regretted not getting to the Outback and Ayer’s Rock though. Seemed like a shame to come so close and not see it with my own eyes.

Now I’ve got one less regret.

The three-day two-night trek to Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and King’s Canyon was amazing. I was worried that I was getting jaded – seen one monument seen em all – but Uluru and the surrounding parks pumped me up. I was stunned by the weight of age there, the beauty and lushness in semi-arid landscape, the geological history, stories of the aboriginal people, the red earth – all of it was overwhelming. I met some great people, camped, broke firewood over my knee, slept in the open under shooting stars, all that. I don’t wanna do one of those posts, but screw it – it was rad.

I finally saw the sunset and dawn at Uluru – something I’ve been meaning to do for a decade – and I’m pumped to realize that I’ve still got fresh eyes on the road. That’s a first. Hope it happens again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment